Sunday, May 3, 2015

Remembered: Mashes Sands Beach

Remembered:  Mashes Sands Beach
by Michelle McMillan Kirby
All Rights Reserved 2015®


On a blustery day intended for inside things,

After visiting with family,
I Scarletted my return home, spread my wings,
And found the beach of my childhood-and serenity.

My car door opened to kind breezes,
Salt kisses clung to my cheeks,
After a few clearing sneezes,
Off to seek serenity and a treasure hunt I did seek.

The walk was short, the tide was returning,
My heart and mind began to slow,
Yet leapt to venture into the water yearning,
In wonder of what the sea would show.

Suddenly, my heart envisioned a much earlier time,
When in 1863–of 130 men of USS States and Stripes and Somerset,
Imposed fire and destruction on salt boilers and buildings of sublime,
Where there is no marker here to remember our Confederates so perhaps we’d forget.

My soul sinking low saw their fires and destroying time,
And when in 1864 the Union struck again,
Our marsh island fisheries upon this bay made sublime,
and where here they captured its Confederate guards, our friends.

I could almost hear the boiling of the Confederate salt kettles,
And feel the impact of the 1863 hurricane destruction blowing,
Needing God’s comfort, I prayed, my heart began to settle,
Finding comfort in this warm breeze and promise of my pen a’going.

The child again collected a bag of tokens from the water and shore,
Baby horseshoe skeletons, sand beneath a seagull footprint,
Mud and sand and its large open pores,
As time stood still, until, the afternoon was spent.

Holding my shoes and treasures in my hand,
I meandered back to my car,
With this humble bag of treasure and sand,
Became priceless memories which will never be too far.

While many years have come and gone,
And miles and time may have moved me away,
White noise of squawking gulls and treasures gathered will stay on,
When I reflect on this late afternoon with skies of gray.

Personal memories plus those of our heroes,
Combine in my heart and soul,
Lest we never forget the heroes and the foes,

May this island and our beloved Southland remain - I love them so.

No comments:

Post a Comment